The online world isn’t always a safe space where you can browse or transact freely. The longer you stay online, the more you get exposed to hackers, viruses or malware. This is why it’s always best to update your devices with anti-virus software, so you won’t have to worry about these issues.
For Mac users, you may think that you don’t need such software because of the macOS, but this doesn’t make your device immune to online threats. According to a report from a cybersecurity software company, there has been an alarming increase in cyber attacks, of at least 400%, on Mac users in 2018 to 2019.
If you’re still having doubs about whether to invest in an anti-virus software, then you know now that you should get one as soon as possible. If you’ve already made up your mind and are just looking for the best and most reliable software, don’t worry, here’s an in-depth review of three of the leading cybersecurity software in the market: Norton, Bitdefender and Kaspersky.
Norton is an all-in-one security software that protects your devices from viruses and malware. It uses artificial intelligence (AI) technology and machine learning to identify online threats in just milliseconds. The software guarantees you can enjoy the digital life without fear of experiencing the dark side of the internet. As one of the leading civilian cyber intelligence networks in the world, it provides easy access to cyber safety.
For Mac users, it’s recommended that they purchase the Norton360 as it’s the most compatible software that can give your devices full protection against threats from the online world, such as phishing scams, data theft, spyware, identity theft and many more. It adjusts to your computer’s functions through the Location Awareness feature, so you won’t have to worry about complications while using it. It also has a file guard where you can add more protection for your files by setting a password. The following are the main features of the Norton 360 for Mac:
- Intrusion Prevention: This feature detects potential threats and blocks them even before it attempts to strike your device. Information from different networks will always be analyzed.
- Antivirus with Advanced Machine Learning: With the use of emulation, it gets rid of malware files that come into the device.
Norton 360 has three price plans which you can choose from. However, the biggest difference among its features are the number of devices which can access the security technology and parental control and the amount of Cloud Backup storage. Nonetheless, all plans include a password manager, online threat protection, virus protection promise and a smart firewall. Available price plans are as follows:
- Standard: Priced at $18.99 per year, it’s best for personal use as it can only be used for one device.
- Deluxe: It allows the use of five different devices and holds up to 75 GB of storage. It’s priced at $34.99 per year. This is the perfect plan for families.
- Premium: You can use this for up to 10 devices and have 100 GB of Cloud Backup storage. This is priced at $49.99 per year.
Bitdefender claims to be the best cybersecurity software that can fight against online threats by easily detecting viruses and malware then applying response solutions to make sure your device is protected. It ensures an efficient and reliable performance, especially for businesses that receive bigger threats from identity theft, information stealing and scams.
Bitdefender guarantees to give your Mac ultimate protection against online threats, without affecting the device’s speed or performance. It can still reach its maximum capacity, just with added protection. Features include:
- Protection: Bitdefender claims to have unbeatable protection like no other. Even with new threats making its way to the internet, your device won’t be harmed in any way. This feature blocks unwanted ads, malicious hijackers, unauthorized changes to important files, backs up files in case of ransomware attacks and uses artificial intelligence (AI) to scan pages before you click them.
- Performance: You won’t have to worry about your Mac slowing down as the software has ultra-fast scan that can easily detect viruses and malwares. It also has an auto-pilot feature that suggests accurate security actions depending on the needs of your device’s system.
- Privacy: As your browse through the internet, you might end up clicking on unwanted advertisements or posts. However, this software encrypts internet traffic and keeps all your information protected from data trackers.
Bitdefender‘s price plans depend on how many years you’re planning to subscribe to. You can opt for a one-year to a three-year plan. Prices start at $36 per year. Note that for Mac users, you must avail of the Bitdefender Total Security or Bitdefender Premium Security for better compatibility.
Kaspersky is an anti-virus software that offers complete protection from online information security threats. Its best features are the anti-virus scanner and the multi-layer web protection as it’s quick to detect malware samples and high-risk sites. The software is easy-to-use, hence, it’s best for those who aren’t tech-savvy.
Kaspersky has two options compatible with Mac. Depending on your preference and needs, just choose which one is best for you.
In this version, you get all the security functions you need to give your devices ultimate protection. It’s an award-wining software that is able to effectively beat hackers, viruses and malware through its proactive detection, real-time protection and instant neutralization. It also allows your to freely browse or shop online as it hides your IP address, secures your password in their private vault and redirects you to an encrypted browser where you can safely make payments. One of its unique features is that it has a kids protection feature, so you can monitor your children’s internet usage, from their search history, screen time, to location.
The Internet Security has similar features with the Total Security version. However it’s more focused on personal use and giving protection for your online presence. It does not have the kids protection feature, but it has webcam protection that blocks unauthorized attempts in accessing your webcam and a safe money feature that allows you to safely make online transactions.
Listed below are the prices for each version:
- Kaspersky Total Security: At $49.99 per year, this software allows up to five devices, has a password manager, backup and restore features and kids protection.
- Kaspersky Internet Security: This version is most suitable for individuals who don’t need the kids protection feature. Priced at $39.99 per/ year, it includes features such as banking and webcam protection. This can be used for three devices.
Norton vs. Bitdefender vs. Kaspersky: Which one is better?
Norton, Bitdefender and Kaspersky are all leading anti-virus software, as they do have good system performance and a well-developed malware protection feature that keeps your Mac safe from unwanted viruses and malware, without compromising the device’s functions.
Based on customer reviews Norton is considered the best among the three because of its flawless anti-malware security and advanced system performance. For its $49.99 per year price tag, you’ll get all the features you need to keep your Mac protected.
Kaspersky and Bitdefender do not fall far behind, as they do have relevant, effective and unique features that make them stand out in the market.
For Kaspersky, it’s simple and easy-to-use features that even non tech-savvy users will enjoy. It also has a parental control feature, which other software do not have. As for Bitdefender, its real-time data protection is known to quickly detect and respond to online threats, hence, your device will always be up to date.
Choosing the best one ultimate depends on your preferences and needs, especially when it comes to functionality and pricing.