You should know that scale modeling can be a highly frustrating hobby, especially for beginners. Therefore, if you are starting, you should know a few things to prevent potential problems.
Of course, each rule comes with the exception, but you should understand the basic guidelines, which will help you prepare to build and understand your future hobby. This article will help you understand how to start, meaning we will cover the essentials, including techniques and tools you will need beforehand.
You should click here to understand everything about painting a model vehicle.
Tips for Choosing a Model Kit
When selecting the first model kit, you should consider specific factors such as your interests, experience, and the size you wish to build. That is why you should have a few things in mind, including:
- Skill Level
Building a kit is an enjoyable activity, meaning you should pick a model kit that will provide you peace of mind depending on your prior experience. For instance, you should choose beginner kits when building your first one. That way, you will obtain more experience and enjoy the fun of creating it compared with more advanced options.
You should know that each kit has a skill level on the package, which can range between one and five. Therefore, Level 1 kits are the simplest to build and perfect for beginners.
At the same time, you may wish to learn more from different modelers in online tutorials, forums, and YouTube to determine the best ways to build your kits. Remember that during the process, you do not have to complete it based on guidelines. Instead, you can focus on the parts without thinking about painting and finishing.
That way, you can boost your knowledge and confidence, which are essential skills that will help you throughout the process.
- Choose the One You Like
It does not matter whether you wish to build a spaceship, train, plane, or vehicle because you should choose the one that interests you. It means you should be interested in a specific option that will provide you with additional enjoyment. Remember that a model requires a few hours or more, depending on your chosen level.
When you choose the best kit for your specific requirements and enjoyment, the next step is conducting comprehensive research. We are talking about checking out the finished model images, which will help you get familiar with the details.
At the same time, you can visit online forums where skilled hobbyists will offer you tips and tricks you can use to ensure the best course of action. Besides, you can ask questions to ensure you get everything right before you start.
We recommend you to visit this link: modelenginefans.com, which will help you find the best engine model for your vehicle requirements.
- Choose a Scale
It would be best if you got a scale based on your preferences. The main idea is that you can find numerous scales for your kits, including 1:72, 1:24, 1:8, and many more. The smaller the second number is, the larger option you will get. For instance, when choosing a vehicle kit, most feature a 1:24 scale, which is essential to remember.
People with additional experience will choose extensive options because they require more details and extra freedom. On the other hand, beginners should choose small-scale options to ensure more enjoyable options. The main reason for that is that they require less time to complete.
At the same time, beginners should understand how to handle small models before transitioning to more significant ones. That is why extensive options are better for more experienced people. In both cases, you should follow instructions, but you will get additional freedom with larger models, especially when it comes to finishing.
Besides, it would be best if you remembered that the larger scale you get, the more space you will need to display it afterward. The main benefit of smaller models is the ability to place them anywhere you like.
Supplies You Need
Similarly, as you would not build a household without proper equipment, you should avoid starting the project without finding the proper tools for the process. Although you do not have to purchase each option from the very start, we will present you with basic supplies that will provide a more enjoyable experience.
- The Model Kit – You should primarily buy a kit you wish to build. Although it seems obvious, model kits will feature all the parts you need to create a specific model that will come attached inside. When you wish to use the piece attached to the sprue, you should cut it off, which is vital to remember. We can differentiate numerous options from comic book characters to popular vehicles. Everything depends on your interests, meaning you should research before making up your mind.
- Glue – It is essential to have glue because you will use it to create a kit. However, you should find the right one for your specific requirements. For instance, liquid cement is the best choice for numerous options. However, you can choose others as well, depending on numerous factors. You can choose polyvinyl acetate, canopy glue, aliphatic glue, epoxy resin, and many more options. Remember that each one comes with specific advantages and disadvantages, meaning you should learn their applications before making up your mind.
- Tweezers – Generally, tweezers are perfect for dealing with small parts. You should buy at least one pair, but you can determine the different types that will help you throughout the process. Some features are pointed while others are flat end, which is excellent for your requirements.
- Brushes – Although some models do not require paint, you should choose the one that requires an additional finish. That way, you can make color modifications. We recommend choosing different brush options, including comprehensive, soft, and extensive options.
- Paint – You can use two options for model paints: oil-based and acrylic. Both are effective in specific situations. Acrylic ones will help you achieve the best results possible. On the other hand, oil-based ones combine pigments with dry or linseed oil, meaning you will get a durable and complex finish.